Wednesday, November 17, 2010

On your mark, get set, GO!!!!

There I was trembling, looking over to the left and to the right. People lined up on either side, when suddenly BANG!!! I jumped from the starting line and I ran with my heart in my throat. As my hair flung backwards I pushed every step with sheer force. As I gained speed I could hardly feel the ground beneath me. My lungs filled with the fresh warm air of summer and the cheers of those on the sidelines. As I approached the 100 meter mark my asthma kicked into overdrive, quickly my chest began to tighten up. It felt as though someone handed me a straw and said "breathe through this!" My legs began to shake and my fingers became numb from the lack of oxygen. I refused to give up, I had dealt with this problem all my life and it wasn't going to get the best of me now. I pushed forward and I didn't care if it began to burn, I wanted this ribbon. I needed it for my own accomplishments. To look myself in the mirror and say "You did it because you didn't give up!" I approached the  end of the race and I won second place. Funny enough, that day changed my life!
      I ran the next year and won the long distance 800 meter twice. I outran everyone in my school and I ended up running in larger competitions for the entire city. As a grade 5 student that moved me. I never thought for one moment that a young man like myself, who suffered severe asthma could not compete. The simple reason was, I ignored people who said I couldn't do it. I pressed on! In fact I overcame my asthma for my training in my 37km run (Way Of The Dove Fundraiser)
Always look forward and onward!!

No comments:

Post a Comment